288 North Terrace, Adelaide
Ayers House stands today not only the last surviving mansion of its era on the southern side of North Terrace but also interprets the life of an upper middle class family of the 19th Century.
Sir Henry Ayers came from England as a young man with little schooling but went on to become Premier of South Australia seven times and the Director of the Burra Copper Mine. He commissioned the conversion of nine roomed brick house to become the forty roomed mansion that we see today.
The acknowledged architect was Sir George Strickland Kingston who interpreted the work of Robert Kerr, a leading architect of the period in England. His book “The English Gentleman’s House” gave the ‘New Rich’ clear direction on how to live and entertain like gentlemen.
By the time Sir Henry’s North Terrace House was completed in 1876 the interior had been hand stencilled room after room. Today the magnificent Lyon and Cottier designed formal dining room ceiling is regarded as the most significant hand painted ceiling in the country.
Capacity/Layout: Ayers house has a variety of rooms with different capacities for hire for a range of events. Please contact staff for further details.
Contact Name: Ayers House Museum
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: 8223 1234
- The venue has a minimal production kit – which includes a Mipro speaker and microphone and a projector.
The room has a 150 year old Broadwood Grand Piano that is available to be used, which can add value for a performer.
- Venue capacity is 75 – 90 depending on the seating arrangement in the ballroom. (image listed above)